Post-Doc, Center for Engineering Education & Outreach, Tufts University (2020-2023)
Ph.D., Engineering Education, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2020
B.S., Chemical & Biological Engineering, Tufts University, 2013
- Engineering Education
- Socio-technical impacts of engineering
- Justice, inclusivity, diversity, and equity in the engineering workforce
- Offshore wind and sustainable energy development
- Member: American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Member: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member: Society for Social Studies of Science (4S)
Awards & Honors
|2022||Finalist for Best Diversity Paper at ASEE: Ozkan, D. S. & Andrews, C. (2022). Perspectives of Seven Minoritized Students in a First-Year Course Redesign toward Sociotechnical Engineering Education. Paper presented at 2022 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Minneapolis, MN.|
|2022||Best Diversity Paper in Liberal Education/Engineering and Society Division at ASEE: Ozkan, D. S. & Andrews, C. (2022). Perspectives of Seven Minoritized Students in a First-Year Course Redesign toward Sociotechnical Engineering Education. Paper presented at 2022 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Minneapolis, MN.|
- Patrick, A. Y., Wisnioski, M. H., McNair, L., Ozkan, D. S., Reeping, D., Martin, T. L., ... & Haines, C. E. (2023). In it for the Long Haul: The Groundwork of Interdisciplinary Culture Change in Engineering Education Reform. Engineering Studies, 1-24. https://doi.org/
- Cardamone, C., Ozkan, D. S., Pamuk, D., Crowe, L., Hirschfeld, A., & Shakespeare, R. (2022). A Faculty Learning Community on Assessment & Equity. The Exchange. New England Faculty Development Consortium.
- Davis, K. A., Deters, J., Ozkan, D. S., Davis, J. P., & Murzi, H. G. Applying Experiential Learning Theory to Understand Study Abroad Leaders’ Experiences Using Real-Time Perspectives. Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad. Accepted April 21, 2022.
- Velez, A. L., Lewis, S. N., Thomas, R. C., & Ozkan, D. S. (2021). Learning Transdisciplinary Collaboration: Undergraduate Student Perceptions of Successes and Areas for Improvement in Transdisciplinary, Problem-Focused Honors Seminar Courses. Journal of Advanced Academics, https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1932202X211061121.
- Lewis, S. N., Velez, A. L. K., Ozkan, D. S., Thomas, R. C., & Carlson, K. A. (2021). From Program to College: The Vision and Curriculum Evolution of the Virginia Tech Honors College. Honors in Practice, 17, 29–44. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/nchchip/343/
- Hampton, C., Reeping, D., & Ozkan, D. S. (2021). Positionality Statements in Engineering Education Research: A Look at the Hand that Guides the Methodological Tools. Studies in Engineering Education, 1(2), 126–141. http://doi.org/10.21061/see.13
- Ozkan, D. S., Davis, K. A., Davis, J. C.; James, M., Murzi, H., and Knight, D. B. (2020). Expectations and Experiences of Short-Term Study Abroad Leadership Teams. Journal of International Engineering Education: Vol. 2:1 in October 2020. https://digitalcommons.uri.edu/jiee/vol2/iss1/1
- Velez, A. Ngaruiya, K. M., & Ozkan D. S. (2020). At the Annex of Service and Higher Education: A Multidisciplinary Assessment of the Role. Journal of Nonprofit Education and Leadership. 10:2. https://doi.org/10.18666/JNEL-2020-9649
- Ozkan, D. S., McNair, L. D., & Bairaktarova, D. (2019). Teacher Learner, Learner Teacher: Parallels and Dissonance in an Interdisciplinary Design Education Minor. In IEEE Transactions on Education, Special Issue: Using Design Projects to Spur Cognitive Development of Students in Science and Engineering. http://doi.org/10.1109/TE.2019.2901781